Monday, July 30, 2012

D.I.Y Avocado Hair Mask and Olympic Talk!

Hey everyone! The summer season of swimming officially ended for me this past week, and I have to say... as much as I love swimming, it does a huge amount of damage to my hair, even if I wear a cap. So, after the end of the season, I always like to indulge in a verrrry intensive hair mask. (I do a weekly hair mask in the shower, but this is verrry different!) I've done mayo masks, olive oil, and coffee masks, and I've been dying to try and avocado mask, so the fact that we had 6(!) avocados just lying around was perfect.

What you'll need:
-One ripe avocado
-1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (this depends on how much/how thick your hair is. The thinner your hair, the less you use. The thicker, the more.)
-1 egg yolk*
-1 tablespoon honey*
-A few drops of lemon juice*

*= optional ingredients. These are really just for a super intensive mask, like I needed. If you don't have the ingredients, that's fine!

Steps:
-Mash or blend together your ingredients together in a bowl until creamy.
-Apply to hair, but try to avoid the scalp. This could make your hair too oily. (NOTE: If you prefer to do this in the shower, I'd suggest just going ahead and shampooing and washing beforehand, and then applying onto your wet hair.)
-Wrap hair in a shower cap or saran wrap.
-Wait 20-30 min.
-Shower, shampoo and condition as usual. After you shampoo, your hair might feel a little gross... mine did, but I promise, after you condition, it'll feel amazing! After the second wash, it'll feel even better!

The essentials!
I thought this would be a fitting post since the Olympics are going on right now, and swimming is always such a big sport to watch during the summer Olympics. (Probably the only time the rest of the world cares about the sport, sadly.) So, in honor of chlorinated and sun-bleached (for the outdoor sports) and any hair that needs some pampering, I thought a hair mask was fitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment