Sunday, July 22, 2012

Could-Have Been Festival Fashion

Hey guys... so, summer is a big time for music festivals like Bonnaroo, Lollapalooza, Coachella, etc. Well, here in my state, they actually set up a HUGE music festival for the first time ever, Firefly. It's a 3 day event, and I got a 3-day pass. I planned on doing a great festival-fashion piece, but sadly, familial conflicts got in the way and I only got to attend the first day. However, that doesn't mean I didn't keep an eye out for some very, uh, interesting trends. (Keep in mind, half this post was written with sarcasm. It's my second language...)

-Hunter brand galoshes: For some reason, EVERYONE was wearing rainboots. It wasn't even raining at all, it was actually kind of hot. But, nevertheless, these boots would be a cute and practical solution if you live in a very rainy area. These boots are usually $100+, but if you have a Nordies in your area, their Anniversary sale has them listed around $99.

-Bustier tops: This is an obvious one... although, considering it gets quite cold here at night, probably not the best idea for a chilly night. Tie-backs were very popular. Pair it with a bikini top and you've got a very skimpy, but very summery outfit.

-High-waisted jean shorts: As the essential closet staple in any hipster wardrobe, I saw tons of variations... studded, laced, Americana, prints, different washes, etc. Most girls chose to go the 'almost a jean bikini' look and hoisted their pants up to 'here'... and some guys, too!

-Bandanas: Almost everyone had the same type of bandana, just in a different color. This type is the one you can easily get at a craft store like Michael's for a dollar. Tie it around your wrist, leg, or head and bam; instant music festival fashion.

 -Hats: Hats of all sizes, it seemed like the bigger, the better. However, it's my personal opinion that if you're going to wear a hat to a music festival, keep it small, especially if you're on the taller side. You don't want to block people behind you (which did happen to me... thanks, sombrero guy!). If you are going to wear an oversized hat like aforementioned sombrero man, please make sure the people around you can see. Hats are practical for blocking sun and keeping your face in the shade, but make sure you're not keeping other people's faces in the shade too... they might not enjoy it when you're blocking their view of Damian Kalush of OK Go.

-Honestly, just boots: Even though it was hot, like I said, boots were huge. I went the practical way and wore some simple t-strap sandals, but boots (and boot tan-lines) were very big at Firefly. High boots, booties, mid-calves... I even saw some very creative boots made of glow-sticks at night. Make sure you apply sunscreen, in order to stave off the aforementioned boot tans.

I'm sure if I had been able to go to the other days I would've picked up on more, but sadly, things happen sometimes. (At least I got to see OK GO...) Anyways, I think the most important thing to do at a music festival is to enjoy the music... dress practically yet fashionably, and you're sure to have a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment